An AppleWorm Rant on Headlines

Your life will never be the same, this article will enhance your life, you will improve your relationships with this ONE secret, it's the end of the world, terrorism suspected, leaked photos show privacy failure... Oh and I could make that list endless.

Today the AppleWorm rant is on an issue that has gone from topics as serious as allegedly helping a president become elected into office, reporting an incorrect person as guilty for murder; to less serious topics like reporting on the iPhone faceID not being as secure as reported or being used to compile faces from its users to sell by Apple... It is honestly annoying but it is the current state of the media: people will do ANYTHING for views, clicks, shares, likes, you name it and they have done it without caring one bit about consequences in general.

Before the internet was THIS ingrained into society and everything around our life, investigating or becoming informed on a topic or interest, was all about getting to the information, finding the book, library, person, outlet with the information you need and with the level of knowledge about that topic. Now, you have to filter the results and KNOW which sources of information are trustworthy and which are not. And it is harder than it sounds.

Reporting and/or informing has turned away from quality and more about timing and social impact. Is it trending, am I the first to report it easily results in few to no review of the information reported and how it is reported. We have moved from the age of How Biased Is The Media I Consume? to How Truthful/Trustworthy Is The Media I Consume?

I personally make a conscious effort to find and bookmark the sites I have found trustworthy as well as sources that I know what their biased may be. I also acknowledge the media I consume, what its point of view is and how long they took to report on the event or matter. When it comes to exploring new sites and sources I have no previous experience with, I double check the data I am being provided. On some topics we all have some level of expertise as to, what is more plausibly true and what is not (for example for me: mobile tech news, international affairs, sports, music). However, the access to information does allow for us to gain more knowledge each and every day more than ever in human history...

So I guess my point is... It is easy to chastise based on articles that have catchy name or that are trending online and I understand that the business is measured in a very numerical kind of way. But please, understand that if you as a consumer of products and media become more well-informed and critical, little by little the sources will have less negative impact if they are forged or worse.

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame