AppleWatch Series 3 Review: Betting on Continuity

It is no secret if you have read my blog previously that my AppleWatch is the device I have most fallen for in the short amount of time it has been out compared to the others. I have tried out fitbit and liked it, I have tried out Samsung Gear and disliked it. So I guess my idea is, I have compared it with something I did not expect to like and really liked (fitbit) and with something I did expect to dislike and was right (samsung).

I do believe this year is probably going to be my first year to not update my AppleWatch even when I try out the series 3 because of one personal decision: cellular data on my watch is not something that adds enough value to my life for me to change my amazingly well working series 2. Changing from series 0 to series 2 was hands down the second best update in hardware that I have done in my life (after changing from pc to mac of course). I truly could not agree more with the video Apple made about how large or small changes to individual lives from the AppleWatch matter, but the truth is those individuals aren't the average user, they are proof that apple cares and helps everyone.

The true strength in AppleWatch is something that I know a lot of people out there will continue to purchase it for: continuity. Sales will prove my point, which is that the fact that Apple's watch line up will give an insight into the priorities in AppleWatch customers want. The line up is: series 3 with cellular data and GPS, series 3 without cellular but with GPS and series 1 with just GPS. This great array of options shows the product's added value: TIME. A smartwatch in someone's daily life should become a filter layer to your technological and media consumption life. Even if you decide to buy the watch with cellular data, I recommend that you "purify" the notifications that interrupt your day. There are too many unnecessary app notifications that should not be allowed to interrupt your workouts, your work hours and your leisure hours.

If you wanna get down to specs, the AppleWatch Series 3 feels noticeably faster at normal tasks, the internet connectivity is just as good as the series 2, the workout features make this my personal favorite sports tracking device (it is incredibly accurate and easy to use with its new watchOS4 interfase and graphics). And let's not forget, if you are willing to pay those extra 10 dollars a month you get cellular data to further enjoy the value of continuity and the Apple Ecosystem. To some like me that feature will not be worth the extra money, to others it will improve their life in their better daily use of the watch.

All in all, the AppleWatch Series 3 is a GREAT improvement yet again on Apple's side towards a device that is meant to be interacted with in short and sweet manner. It has now been exponentially improved in terms of speed and the software quality added makes it so that when it truly matters, the AppleWatch will fulfill your expectations. From here on I believe the watch has great opportunities to continue to grow, however, I do believe the next generation will need a "wow factor" to set it aside of a device that has only "wow-ed" truly once and the other 2 years has pleased users as much as plausible. This cycle of not having a "BIG" change could stagnate or make feel monotonous an otherwise amazing device that shines when you realize that you enjoy the world around more you more thanks to it.



P.S. don't forget to check out all my thoughts on the latest podcast entry of the AppleWorm on

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-appleworm-podcast/

and PodOmatic: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/1appleworm/

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame