The Reason the World Goes 'Round

I hope and wish with all my heart that you already have or someday find or share the feeling of true happiness and excitement that I have every 4 years when the World Cup happens. Let me explain:

One of my first memories of happiness was when I was about 5 years old, I was visiting with my family southern France to go to the beaches and generally enjoy the great weather. We always go to this house that my danish parents have in a beautiful and small town called Bagnols-en-ForĂȘt. This small and local french place was truly a small quiet and almost hidden place perfect for relaxing and driving in the day to the nearby beaches like Saint-Raphael or Cannes. It was 1998 and France faced Brasil in the World Cup Final. I remember the town being as full as could be, people of all ages, all kinds of face paint with the french flag, and nerves like nothing I had seen.

If you have not figured it out by now, France won that World Cup and the entire country of France BLEW UP IN HAPPINESS. I fell in love with football that day (soccer if you are in the USA). I am not french, I had never seen european football (I did later fall in love with the PSG as my european club of choice, more on that on another post), I just was so enveloped in love and happiness that my 5 year old self comes back to life every time I see a big or important football game, be it my national Team (Costa Rica), my second home (Denmark), my european club (PSG) or my dream team (Brazil).

In 2 days the 2018 World Cup will start in Russia. My heart pounds with joy just to think about it. The whole world, or to be more precise at least 3.2 BILLION human beings, normally view the world cup (2014 stats). It makes me happy to no end to know that I am one of them ever since 1998. I go back to my childhood, to the happiest days, to crying in happiness or having to spend an entire day trying to digest the depression of a loss.

I believe football makes the world go 'round. Not because it actually (physically) does... Rather because no matter what is happening, how important it seems or how planned it was...

The world stands still in my mind when an important football match comes on, and in the next month so many matches will make me absolutely happy or terribly sad... And that excites me. Is that weird? I don't care, it's just true.

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame