MCU coming soon...

One day, I hope I will be lucky enough to attend a Comic-Con, hopefully a big one like NY or San Diego. Someday, it is one of my dreams and goals to be at a Geek environment like no other and enjoy a big announcement or trailer reveal like those at Comic-Con this past weekend. So, from a distance, these are my thoughts about the Marvel phase 4 line up of movies and series.

May 1st 2020: This movie is SO long overdue, but that does not mean it is bad timing. We do not know how greatly written TaskMaster and the Black Widow confrontation is. I believe this has the potential of being an amazing prequel to Infinity War and Endgame; further exploration of Natasha’s past will make us empathize even further with her character and decisions later on, which we already know from the movies. I can only say that this will definitely add an emotional punch to the Soul Stone scene from Endgame between Romanoff and Hawkeye.

Fall 2020: The Falcon and Winter Soldier TV Series will force the fan base to pay for DisneyPlus and a lot rides on the quality of this series, will the money be worthwhile…? In terms of the plot itself, the series is truly interesting as it follows endgame and Steve Rogers’ decision to become old and leave his shield to Sam. I do not understand how people were asking for Bucky to get the shield… To the eyes of the world, he still has a terrorist background, which is questionable at the very least… Moreover, I am confident that before that scene where Cap leaves to give back the stones he spoke with Bucky and told him his plan, that’s why his goodbye is much more emotional than that of Sam who is expecting Cap to be back in a bit.

November 6th 2020: Eternals movie. I want to be surprised by this in a similar or greater way than Dr. Strange. Salma Hayek, Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani, Richard Madden, etc. This cast promises to be an out of left field success or snoozer… We will have to wait and see. Empathizing with these immortal characters is as complicated as with Superman… They are over powered and god-like, both qualities that do not attract my interest very much. That being said never doubt the studio that made the world love a talking raccoon with guns and a tree that repeats the same phrase over and over.

February 12th 2021: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. We need more combat movies! One of the best movies that Marvel has ever put out has been Captain America the Winter Soldier; the combat scenes and the hand-to-hand choreography that meant something and were not just for the sake of showing, but rather to push the narrative and plot forward. I want this movie to blow the lid off people’s idea of an Asian superhero. Make him as universal as a character named Captain America that appeals to the world.

Spring 2021: WandaVision Disney Plus series is the one I am least interested in because I don’t have a real perspective or enough information to make me believe this will push the envelope in terms of being a MUST to enjoy Marvel’s Phase 4 or further. Will I watch it? Well, that depends on 2 variables: i) the quality of the previous series (The Falcon and The Winter Soldier) and ii) the build up to this series based on the movies; maybe a post credit scene or plot point that could be carried forward through this series. Plus, a big question to answer: HOW IN THE HECK is this series taking place AFTER Endgame??

May 7th 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Now listen, if you know me you know that I LOOOOOVE a good horror movie. SO, this is one of my most anticipated movies of this new Marvel phase. Simply put: I love Dr. Strange, I love horror, I love Wanda a.k.a. the Scarlet Witch and I cannot wait to see what multidimensional craziness ensues in this movie, SPECIALLY taking into account what was explained to us in Endgame.

Spring 2021: Loki Disney Plus series. I don’t know how I feel about this one. It could be an interesting adventure or a boring “filler”. As a series, this depends EVEN MORE from the quality of the previous series that Marvel places on the streaming service. Hopefully they will be Daredevil-Luke Cage caliber or better. Kevin Feige said that this was directly related to Loki after he takes the tesseract in Endgame so that timeline does interest me more than a prequel for Loki.

Summer 2021: What If…? There is a pro and a con here. The con is that this will be an animated series on the DisneyPlus and in the same way that Marvel is WAY better than DC in movies; Marvel is WAY behind DC in animated series. Does that mean this will be a horrible series? No. However, it still is an existing context to break on their part and the nostalgia of hearing the voices of characters that are dead or have not been active for a while can only go so far... The pro is the subject to develop in the series: the watcher is one is the most interesting characters and plot narrators there is, he can break down the existing state of the Marvel Universe or contrast it with plausible parallel universes and/or results of the previous movies.

Fall 2021: Hawkeye. If the Black Widow movie was overdue, this DisneyPlus series was double as much. I cannot explain how unexpectedly EXCITED I am for this one! Renner said “I get to teach someone else how to be a superhero without superpowers” and that made me think KATE BISHOP and young avengers and SO much more that I cannot help but have hundreds of possible scenarios for this great preparing of a future Avenger generation.

FINALLY, November 5th 2021: Thor 4, Love and Thunder. Thor was my LEAST favorite avenger in the beginning and has had a huge comeback in my eyes because Taika Waititi figured out the strength in comedic acting that Chris Hemsworth has. Tessa Thompson is a hugely significant addition to the cast and she can only elevate the movie like never before. HOWEVER, Natalie Portman, even with her Oscar, was a part of the time when I disliked Thor. She even was one of the reasons why those first 2 Thor movies did not work for me. I am scared but excited. Female Thor is a very powerful way to redeem her character, but it is also a gamble. I hope for the best because Taika Waititi is a truly great director and lets bet on that instead of against…

Oh and one last thing... after this phase 4 we will get back the comic book character that opened this comic book era even before Xmen: Blade! I remember these movies and actually I think all of them are a guilty pleasure of mine because to me they are all enjoyable. Mahershala Ali is not just a great actor but as a person the fact that HE sought out Marvel to participate is AMAZING AND PROMISING!

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame