JOKER

Joaquin Phoenix had a short interview a day ago about the Joker movie and of course, it got me thinking of a lot of things to consider BEFORE I see this movie in a bit less than a month’s time.

Heath Ledger portrayed one of the most iconic villain roles in superhero and movie history: The Joker. And his untimely death made people think all kinds of crazy theories about how it affected him in some shape or form. HOWEVER, you then take some time and investigate what his co-stars in the movie say about his attitude on set and around the movie you realize how he actually seemed to be well and enjoyed to portray this scary and crazy/psychotic character.

This movie is about the degradation that society brings upon a man (in this case Arthur Fleck) to make him become the Joker and one of the statements that makes me think about this is when Phoenix says

“to be honest, I thought it was a great joy to play Joker. I preferred to play Joker over Arthur. (…) Everything is so uncomfortable about Arthur, I couldn’t stand it. (…) Joker was total liberation, you could do anything as an actor”

I believe it is here that we can draw a line between Ledger’s and Phoenix’s IDEA behind the portrayal of the Joker: they both found that in madness there is great freedom. An actor’s great happiness is to be able to enjoy and exert great creativity in their work and what bigger creativity than a character that has no end to his freedom in madness?

Of course watching the movie could change my mind and I am highly doubtful that, even when the portrayal could be great, this Joker will de-throne Ledgers iconic role. However, I am going in as always with a hopeful, open mind towards a dark, mad movie that will hopefully inspire loads of thoughts for me to talk to you guys.

And when you guys hopefully go and watch the movie in about a month’s time, I hope you remember his quote:

“madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… Forever.”

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame