Wonder: An AppleWorm Review

"You can't blend in, when you where born to stand out"

Everyone who knows me, knows I love Apple, to run, the flash, star wars, to write and to analyze movies. This movie is one of the reasons I give when people ask me why I love to go to the movies so much: I believe movies are one of the best ways in which people can realize that the world around them is SO much bigger than they realize. Movies should take you places outside reality but also prove to be real in the emotions you feel when you experience their plot (no matter how fantastic or authentic it is).

To get into the movie, lets start with the big and obvious ones: the acting was GREAT to say the least. Jacob Tremblay really sells you emotion through the make-up he is in; he knows how to embody someone who is as outcast as August (main character). Isabela Vidovic (yeah, I had to google her name too) was really good to express her eclipsed character in the story. Owen Wilson was a MUCH better compliment to both Tremblay as a father and Julia Roberts as a husband. I believed in their relationship and that is one of the strengths of the movie: I really felt like they were a family with real emotions without that chemistry the movie plot would not have moved forward.

The movie bets on its audience, which is something I truly appreciate. We are thrown into a small intro and the rest of the plot fills in some gaps and expects the audience to fit them together. It is not a linear narrative, it breaks and jumps in time and point of view and in that dynamic connects the audience and the characters in the movie.

And here's one thing I wanted to highlight as much as I can: Julia Roberts. SHE brings this movie home! She invests you into the motherly love, the sensibility that both parents live through, and the family warmth that she so dearly loves. She breaks you apart and puts you back together.

I don't like to review to in depth movies with people when they have not yet seen it. So I will summarize my thoughts about this GREAT and significant movie with a thought I have based on my experience volunteering with cancer patients and chronic diseases in Costa Rica:

LIFE is 99% moments you miss or don't get to see and 1% moments you get to live.

I believe that movies based or inspired by real life lets us expand our experience or knowledge of that 99% that usually we completely miss out on.

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame