Change is Good: the iPhone 8 & X AppleWorm Rant

I am sorry, I did not mean to change my mind. But here's the deal, the reviews are out and unfortunately or fortunately the online celebrities/reviewers whose opinion I most trust made me realize that this is THAT year... Yeah, I never thought this time of my AppleWorm life would come but it is here: This is the year where I wait to upgrade my iPhone and don't just buy the new iPhone ASAP. Ever since the iPhone 5 I have upgraded my iPhone to the latest model without a second thought, and by the time I got to the iPhone 6s Plus I thought to myself "one day I will have to stop and meditate my decision". The moment did not happen in deciding between 5c and 5s, 6 and 6Plus, 6s and 6sPlus, 7 or 7Plus... But now, the decision between 8 and X (I call it "X" and not "Ten") has signaled that time I new would come, I am holding back with my 7Plus for some time.

Let me explain why this decision was made and why I changed my mind (if you already heard the AppleWorm Podcast Episode 12 you know why I refer to this as "changing my mind" on which phone to buy). To me the best way to describe what the iPhone 8 is that this is the culmination of a form factor that goes all the way back to 2014 with the iPhone 6, while the iPhone X is the beginning of a new decade of iPhones to come and adapt to the many changes around and inside Apple as a company and the new context of tech it inhabits. It's as if the iPhone 8 is the best hybrid car versus the iPhone X being a fully electric car that starts to implement auto-pilot features (hint-hint, that comparison was on purpose).

The price is something that worries me, and I honestly believe $1000 is something that hurts apple freaks more than it should. Not everyone can just out and spend that kind of money without having to take a minute to plan out their finance situation. To me, if you don't have the money and you have to save up, the one reason that this makes sense is if you truly love apple and have the mental flexibility to get out of your technological comfort zone. It worries me to adapt to no home button but I am more than glad to use FaceID and walk into the future of iPhones and this allegedly beautiful OLED screen.

this is the 8 I got my hands
on
I will find a kind soul and review the iPhone X in depth as soon as I can, I have already started to get my hands on an iPhone 8. However, so far I could not be more excited about the reactions from the people that have had the phone for days and have little to no complaints. There is a learning curve that I can only imagine can only compare to my learning curve to understand the original AppleWatch first gen; but also I am sure that the iPhone X does not have the "first gen feel" to it.

So, I will keep my iPhone 7Plus because it works great for everything that I need and more. I would have gotten the iPhone 8Plus if the iPhone X did not excite the AppleWorm that I am. I believe the familiarity that the 8 and its form factor gives its user is the reason the sales will not disappoint, but the X is the new vision of Apple that all of the fans like me want to have in their lives.

What I am sure about is that the iPhone 8 is for everyone and anyone while the iPhone X is not for people who are not familiar with the Apple ecosystem and software and/or that do not want to leave their comfort zone until they have to like with the headphone jack or changes of that sort.

For now, I recommend you follow the articles I share on my Flipboard and Twitter accounts (@dvd19931). I will continue my journey into the review of all Apple and Tech things. 

New Podcast coming about the Q4 Report from Apple coming soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame