Confusion: Football or Soccer?

Today is the Champions League Final Game!!! I am truly torn for this decision because Juventus is filled with players that I admire, specially Gianluigi Buffon, this legendary goalkeeper is one title away from winning every title he could i his lifetime. However, on the other side is Real Madrid with the costa rican phenomenon of a goalkeeper and national treasure Keylor Navas. Supporting Juventus would mean going against Navas, but supporting Navas would be negating the One title the legend of Buffon is missing. Because of this hard decision that has me divided I decided to not wear Real Madrid's shirt today and be "neutral" by using the shirt of the European team I love with all my heart: Paris Saint-Germain. This french team taught me what it was to fall in love with football when I was a kid and looked at Ronaldinho become the monstrous Brazilian player we all know and love before Barca and Milan.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, my country has 2 huge religions: christianity and soccer. Every weekend my parents would take me to church in the morning and afterwards to the stadium or just anywhere we could watch the game. I even tried to fool myself into thinking I could play someday, I was quite bad and got angry at that team because OBVIOUSLY they made me look bad and it had nothing to do with me not being good. I changed teams and somehow we did not loose, and every since I "betrayed" my family tradition of supporting the local soccer team and stuck my choice. 

So the first confusion was me not supporting "Heredia" which is the family team of always. Later, when growing up in Denmark I did and still do support the team from where I lived at: Aalborg. There I found myself being heavily scolded by my danish and english friends for calling the sport soccer and not football. Specially with the english honor of being the ones who made the game that now is the global phenomenon. In addition, american football is a very popular sport in USA but for the rest of the continent it is definitely not; as a matter of fact, "real football" (as my danish and english friends would call it to scold me calling it soccer) is not even in the top 5 most popular sports in USA. Whereas, all of the latin american countries and a majority of european ones have it as their most important.

I wish everyone just called it american football or football and I hope the champions league final is amazing and I'll let you guys know if i am happy or sad about the result.

the ball is almost as big as me...

Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame