Run Forest Run

Running is almost therapeutic thing I do that happens to also be exercise. My uncle (the youngest of 9 brothers and sisters my dad has) has been running for at least 18 years and when I turned 17 he challenged me to go do a 10K race under an hour. My family is naturally competitive because of football (more on this later) so I could not say no, the race came around and I managed to make it in around 55 minutes which was great for the bet, but was even better because I discovered I enjoyed it a lot. 

Ever since that day I decided to train with my uncle until I could catch up with him and when I did, I wanted a little more and that meant getting in touch with his trainer. She is an over 60 year old marathon runner that was national and central american champion and is still competing and winning in her category. In the most sincere and humble way I look up to her SO much, her way of training is awesome, she makes you set your own goals and knows exactly how to get there. My first goal and the distance I prefer to run is half marathon (21K or 13.1 miles), it is a great physical and mental test. In the words of my trainer: "18kms you will run with your legs, 2kms you will run with your mind and you will cross the finish line with your heart".

I love running, and this year I am trying to get into better shape to get into international marathons like Disney which me and my uncle ran earlier. The feeling of accomplishment after training so many early mornings could not be greater than getting through the finish line with the man I owe my healthy lifestyle as I prefer to sleep and run on weekends rather than go out and drink. Days are more productive as I get back early and more focused from training and can get to work with a nice cup of coffee. I enjoy going out with my friends from time to time but I would much rather catch a movie, have coffee together or do something other than partying... Does that make me sound old? I don't know... all I know is I am happy with my health and only wish to improve it because my trainer said once that "if when young you take care of your body, older your body will take care of you".

green: my uncle. grey: me
Disney marathon
P.S. Remember how I wrote in the WWDC2017 post that this year's experience was different to the others? Well I ran as if the world was going to end. You see, I had a class at the university until 11am (MST mountain standard time) which is exactly the time the keynote was set to start. The teacher was  kind enough to end the class 5 minutes early and from my university to the nearest restaurant with wifi, apple juice and snacks it's about a 10 minute walk. I did not have that kind of time so I ran and may or may not have ran across a street without looking... All I have to say is, don't try what I did, but at least I made it just in time.


Popular posts from this blog

Let the tech year unfold...

What does Captain Marvel MEAN to the MCU?

Apple's Endgame